Friday, April 4, 2008

Social bookmarking

Del.icio.us, what a great resource for research. Having looked at Sutherland Shire Libraries tag cloud and Cleveland Public Library's tags I found the first page of Cleveland to be more attractive to me. This is of course because I hate change and a list is more the format I am comfortable with, the cloud presentation seems messy to me - so I am going to step out there and force myself to do some more research in the cloud format. I must keep moving with new technology and formats and not let myself be bogged down with old methods.

You can't help be more impressed with sites that have had more hits. Who knows where you can end up following other people's tag. It's a bit like patrons taking a book from the returns trolley rather than the shelf, the idea being that if someone else has read it, it must be good. I did some research on a music site looking for specific titles, following tags has taken me to some fascinating sites and unknown territory.

There are many benefits in being able to keep all your bookmarks in one place, have them tagged for easy sorting, being able to stretch into similar tagged sites and I see huge potential for use in the library.

1 comment:

Owl said...

I like your del.icio.us sites.
That chocolate cake looks yummy, and the Mullumbimby site looks promising. I think some of us were looking at the matching Byron one the other day.