Sunday, April 20, 2008

Podcasts

I join the others that had trouble with listening to lots of recordings because of restrictions but I did manage to hear a few by trying out different computers.

Had a bit of a look around the British Library podcasts, was most frustrated at not being able to hear the voice of the real Evelyn Waugh reading extracts from New British library "spoken word", also will revisit the birds from Madagascar, a lovely relaxing podcast I'm sure.

Moving on to Library Success wiki, I would liked to have been able to listen to Denver Public Library's Small Bear Lost. I don't know whether story reading for small children via a podcast would work or not. I guess if you had a sick child that was used to going to story time each week it could be an alternative. I also thought that the Kankakee Public Library poetry slam was good use of a podcast. There was good, general advice on this site on how to podcast - simply phone in to record and publish. Also gave advice on how to podcast for libraries. It was this podcasters first attempt and she made mention that there were probably more experienced people out there that could advise her on more efficient methods she could try in future.

I can see the value of podcasts for students who have missed lessons or live remotely and also for people who are unable to listen to their favorite programs. I also think in larger libraries podcasts could be used for tours of the library, story time, an introduction for new employees and also oral history.

Once again, in our library system it all comes down to funding, the availability of staff to spend time on podcasting and on having staff with the flair, imagination and dedication to produce something worthy. I am afraid we are all struggling to get through our day to day duties and I can't see in our library system that podcasting will be happening any time soon.

No comments: